Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cheesy Veggie Biscuits

So last night I made this veggie chowder recipe from Passionate Homemaking. I just found her blog a couple weeks ago, but I think I read about 2 years worth of archives! Lots of great stuff there. It's a yummy recipe, though I would follow her advice and take it easy on the cheese. I think I used 2 cups, but it's a little too cheesy for me. Z isn't really touching anything with multiple ingredients lately, but S was a big fan. Even D ate it and he's not a big veggie fan.

 image source: Passionate Homemaking

I was planning to make biscuits to go along with the chowder and when I saw the bits of chopped veggies left on the chopping board, it inspired me to modify my mom's biscuit recipe. Here is the result:

Cheesy Veggie Biscuits

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vegetable seasoning (I had some that looked like Montreal Steak Spice, but I'm sure Mrs Dash would work too)
1/3 cup cold butter
1/2 cup mixed minced veggies (I used cauliflower, broccoli and carrots)
3 oz shredded cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup? I just threw some in)
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk (or use milk and substitute one of the tbsp of milk for lemon juice/vinegar, let it stand 5 minutes before using)

Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in butter. Mix in veggies and cheese. Add buttermilk and stir together just until combined (too much mixing = tough biscuits). Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into 16-20 squares. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

I made these during the 20 minutes of simmering to cook the vegetables in the chowder recipe. While they were baking, I finished up the chowder recipe. It worked well as far as timing goes. Z liked these a lot and made up for not eating the chowder by eating three biscuits.

1 comment:

Carly Friesen said...

I made that chowder right after you posted this and it was amazing!!!! Oh my. That was the very first chowder or soup I've made too. Weird. I need to start baking bread now too. I can't wait til the summer :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...