Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pajama Pants!


Today I made pajama pants for my Z. Having had yesterday off work, I did a lot of laundry. As I was folding, I realized Z was pretty low on pajamas and was quickly growing out of others she has had for a while. I knew I had a metre of this flowered flannel fabric in my stash, having purchased it a couple years ago when I thought I would make 3 dresses out of the same pattern. After Z refused to wear the first dress I made for her from the fabric for the first several months, I decided not to make more dresses. She is much more receptive to the things I make now and proudly declares that "My mommy made it!" when someone comments on a handmade item she is wearing. This afternoon during quiet time (I heart quiet time!), I pulled out a pair of pajama pants that currently fit her and this fabric.

Other than cutting out the pattern, I almost finished the pants while I was on the phone with my mom. And honestly, I haven't made a lot of pants. They're just that easy. Read a couple tutorials, make a couple pairs, and you can do it while you're on the phone. Besides, they're pajama pants; they don't have to fit that well.


When I presented Z with her new pajama pants, she asked if I could make her a shirt to match. I didn't have enough fabric to make a pajama top. So, I ran upstairs to her room and rifled through her drawers for a t-shirt that fit, but that she didn't wear. I found this yellow number. It had a little design across the front, so I just covered it up with a rectangular piece of fabric. I didn't use any interfacing or wonder under or anything to stabilize the knit fabric underneath. First I pinned it in place, then I basted it on, so that it wouldn't shift around as I zig-zag stitched over the edges. I thought I had a fancy applique stitch on my sewing machine, but as it turned out, I was wrong (or I couldn't find it) so I shortened the length of the zig-zag stitch to around 0.9 or 0.5 and zig-zagged around the piece of fabric.




She was quite pleased with the result and she is wearing them right now (quietly sleeping in her bed). She modelled the pajamas for me before she went to bed.


I had to include this little pose since it was so cute, even if it is a little out of focus.

 

When I showed her the pictures I had taken, she was disappointed that I hadn't got her head in the pictures. 

 
 
So she squatted down to make sure I wouldn't miss her beautiful face. It is pretty great.

1 comment:

bjklassen said...

Great PJ's Teddi! I think that I need to go to the fabric store and create my own little stash. You inspire me! If you want to, check out the dress pics I just posted on facebook. I really enjoyed your dresses and decided that with a 4 year old that never tires of wearing dresses I should try out the mens shirt dresses!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...